Tuesday 7 January 2014

Thoughts on Pop-Punk.

I am currently listening to the new debut album by pop-punkers Neck Deep and it's got me thinking about the micro-genre... 

For as much as I love some of it, I can't help but think the scene is stuck in the past. Pop-punk can't get over the skating burst of the 90s and the teen movie blast of the 00s. It's virtually had no musical advancement since Blink-182 released their self-titled effort in 2003 except from a handful of bands. And to be totally honest, I think it's one of the most elitist scenes out there. Admittedly, I grew up on bands like Blink-182 and Sum 41 and I still love them, however I believe they were just gateway artists into things more complex and mature. But does this lack of innovation give pop-punk its distinctive and dividing character? Or is the community just too adamant to look back in nostalgia and too 'hipster' to care?

No comments:

Post a Comment